Happy Fourth of July! I hope you are doing something fun to celebrate Independence Day with family and friends. I will be heading out on a mountain bike ride in the morning and maybe paddle boarding the Colorado River near Moab! I also plan on barbecuing and making some of these healthy recipes that you can enjoy all summer long. Enjoy!
Mojito Fruit Salad
- 4 cups chopped watermelon
- 1lb strawberries, chopped
- 6oz raspberries
- 6oz blueberries
- 1/4 cup packed mint, chopped (NOT 1/4 cup chopped mint)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (about 3 limes)
- 3 Tablespoons powdered sugar
Add watermelon, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and mint in a large bowl. Stir together lime juice and powdered sugar in a small bowl then pour over fruit and berries. Gently toss with a spatula then let sit in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes before serving to allow the natural juices in the fruit to start coming out.
Recipe from Iowa Girl Eats.
Potato Salad with Creamy Pesto Dressing
- 2 lbs. red potatoes, peeled if desired, and cut into 1″ chunks
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto (homemade or store-bought)
- juice and finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- diced red onion (can substitute sliced green onions)
- salt and pepper, to taste
Boil potatoes in salted water until just tender. Drain and let cool completely.
Whisk the yogurt, pesto, lemon juice and zest together in a small bowl. Taste and season well with salt and pepper. Pour over the potatoes. Garnish with the red onion and fresh herbs. Serve.
Recipe from Makes and Takes.
Red, White & Blue Quinoa Salad
- 3/4 cup dry quinoa
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups (1 pint) strawberries, sliced
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups (16 ounces) fresh blueberries
- 1 cup cherries, pitted and sliced
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup or honey
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1/2 cup almonds, chopped
Cook quinoa according to package directions. Place fruit in a large bowl. Mix maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, lime juice, and salt in a small jar and adjust to taste if necessary. Fluff cooked quinoa with a fork and add to fruit. Stir to combine. Pour on dressing, add almonds, and mix well. Serve immediately or chill in refrigerator until serving time.
Recipe from Oh She Glows.
Sriracha Glazed Chicken Skewers with Peaches and Basil
- 8-16 bamboo skewers (You may want to use 2 per skewer for extra stability.)
- 1½ tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha (plus more for serving)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1½ pounds total)
- 2 peaches, cut into 16ths
- 24 fresh basil leaves
Start by soaking the bamboo skewers in a shallow dish filled with water for at least 30 minutes.
In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, lime juice and zest, honey and Sriracha. Briefly set aside. Slice your chicken breasts into approximately 1-inch chunks. Place them in a large Ziploc bag and pour the marinade over them. Seal the bag, removing as much air as possible, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Slice the peaches into 16ths. Once the chicken is marinated, it’s time to assemble the skewers. Thread a piece of chicken, followed by a basil leaf, and a peach segment onto a soaked bamboo skewer. Repeat this pattern about 3 times per skewer.
Heat a clean, oiled grill or grill pan over medium heat. When hot add the skewers and cook, rotating occasionally until the chicken is cooked through, about 12-15 minutes. Serve immediately with extra Sriracha.
Recipe adapted from Domesticate Me.
Grilled Chicken Burgers with Charred Tomato and Guacamole
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons seasoned dry breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Cooking spray
- 2 tomatoes, halved
Mix ground chicken, chopped fresh cilantro, seasoned dry breadcrumbs, salt, and pepper. Form into 4 (1-inch-thick) patties. Coat grill with cooking spray. Grill patties and halved tomatoes, flesh-side down, over medium-high heat 6 minutes, turning, until burgers are cooked through and tomatoes are charred. Serve on whole grain buns with chopped tomatoes and guacamole.
Recipe adapted from Health.
Watermelon Ice Cream
- 2 c. cubed watermelon
- 2 c. whole milk
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a loaf pan and freeze for three hours. After three hours, remove mixture from loaf pan and blend again. Pour back into loaf pan and freeze for another hour. Serve and enjoy!